Less plastic, less waste
We innovated the first use of plastics in skincare back in the 1950s, and now we're leading the way out with forward-thinking changes to our packaging. The goal? Reduce the use of plastics—and plastic pollution in landfills—to promote a more sustainable future.
TO BE IMPLEMENTED BY 2025
Our Sustainability Pledge
Eliminate problematic or unnecessary plastic packaging.
Move away from single-use sachets and reimagine our sampling programs.
Ensure all packaging contains an average of 30% post-consumer recycled (PCR) content.
Introduce glass packaging whenever possible.
How we’re evolving
Click through each sustainability initiative to learn more.
We're eliminating some »
We're wasting less »
We're changing our look »
We're improving the experience »
We're saying goodbye to metals »
LESS VIRGIN PLASTIC
Solving problems of tomorrow through innovation today
We partnered with Better Future Factory to conduct a plastics audit and help us design our sustainable packaging strategy. This led to us drawing up a roadmap to join the new plastics economy.
How we’re evolving
- Eliminating “bad” resins and prioritizing recyclable plastics. Not all plastics have established recycling streams. We are removing ABS, SAN, PETG and Metallization and are exclusively using PET, PP, HDPE and MPDE, the most recyclable resins available.
- Reimagining our cartons to be more sustainable. Changes include switching to 100% post-consumer waste (PCW), FSC-Certified paper and resizing our packaging to eliminate wasteful space.
- Removing black plastic and adopting a marbleized technique for our caps. Black plastic cannot be recycled in current recycling streams. Instead, we are transitioning to a marbleized technique for our caps, maximizing our usage of PCW.
- Eliminating packette samples and prioritizing glass packaging. Discontinuing single-use packettes helps to reduce plastic waste, while glass is one of the most sustainable materials available.
- Removing metal pieces from relevant products. Metals and plastics need to be sorted in order to be recycled. Our new serum and eye pump packaging is 100% PP, making it easily recyclable—no guesswork involved.
Our Sustainability Journey
IT’S YOUR TURN
Recycle your favorites
The global recycling system can be challenging to navigate—and, unfortunately, not all plastics have a viable recycling stream. To ensure our products won’t wind up in a landfill, we made strategic changes to our packaging. Follow our step-by-step guide to recycle and dispose of your Erno Laszlo favorites, and be sure to consult your local recycling guidelines, too.
COMMITTED TO CHANGE
Envisioning a new plastic economy
We proudly joined the Ellen MacArthur Foundation’s New Plastics Economy, a global initiative to create a circular economy for plastics. Here’s how we’re reimagining our packaging to create a closed loop system.
Science-backed skincare meets the latest in sustainable technology.
COMMITMENTS IN ACTION
New Packaging Feature:
The most recent example of our packaging innovation can be seen in our new product, VTM Micro-Essence. We worked hard to keep the presentation premium, while maintaining our strict Clean Science standards and Sustainability 2025 commitment.
Clean-Science with a Commitment to Sustainability
Along with re-thinking our packaging, we’re constantly innovating our formulas. Most recently we've adopted a Clean Promise which resulted in us eliminating a further 51 ingredients to meet our highest standards of safety and proven efficacy.